Finn's Birth Story

F I N N ' S   B I R T H   S T O R Y 

It's been 9 days since we welcomed our little man into the world which is mind-blowing! Our delivery wasn't quite as intimidating as I thought it would be when hearing the word "c-section". In fact, I think it honestly couldn't have gone better. Although who has a birth story that doesn't have hiccups somewhere along the way? Fortunately, ours weren't too bad but still frustrating none the less. First things first, when I had V she was a normal delivery that was NOT a c section but was an induction. Viv weighed 9 pounds 1 ounce which left me with a horrible tear that took me 6 months to recover from because the hospital I delivered at kept diagnosing me with a UTI. After reaching my limit and realizing that I needed to seek help elsewhere is where I found my AH-MAZING doctor that treated me and got me all healed and is also the one I continue to see to this day who delivered Finn last Tuesday.
So Finn was obviously a c section which was something we found out about 1-2 weeks before his due date. We were originally due on the 19th, and had a scheduled induction set about a week or so out but my doctor was very concerned about him weighing about the same as Viv, and me having to go through that rough recovery of tearing so we opted for the section. I can't say it's originally what I wanted at first, but I am so so happy that we went that route because my recovery so far and the section itself was a breeze compared to what I went through delivering Viv. 
I wasn't nervous in the days leading up to section but when we went in that afternoon and I was in the pre-op room, I lost it. I think just all the nerves and that "oh shit" moment, this is really about to happen and we're about to have another baby, omg omg omg. Our section was scheduled for 4 p.m. and while waiting the nurse came in and told us not once, but twice, that ours would be pushed back because of 2 emergencies that had to go before us. At that point, I was so frustrated, hungry as hell because as you know if you've had a c section you can't eat 8 - 12 hours before your scheduled time, and overall so over everything I just wanted him out. Needless to say, we went back around 9 or so, FINALLY. 
Chase had to wait in the hallway for a minute while I went in and sat on the table (cue Saw music and thoughts) as the nurse got everything ready. It really didn't help that I saw all these instruments about to be used and all I could think of was "can Chase come in here yet", "what the hell is that thing", "omg, do they really use that? are they using that on me?", "please make sure I'm numb first" .. etc. You know all the normal thoughts ;) Haha. The anesthesiologist then did the spinal which wasn't bad, just felt like a bee sting and then I was laid down while they do whatever they do. When I tell you the spinal is the weirdest feeling, I mean it. Not in a bad way but it numbs you starting at your feet up to your chest and when it numbed my chest I had this overwhelming feeling I couldn't breath and had a mild panic moment until they gave me an oxygen mask that helped tremendously. Finally they brought Chase in and put the curtain up so we couldn't see anything, I couldn't feel anything, and within probably 15 minutes Finn arrived at 9:46 p.m weigh 8 pounds, 11 ounces.  It was such a relief to hear him cry and have him lifted over the curtain so I could see him. It was such a beautiful moment for both Chase and I as that's something we'll never forget.
We were then taken to recovery where I got to hold him, and feed him, and admire all that he was in those first few minutes of being in the world. I will say that the spinal makes you ITCH like crazy! I think I was a little out of it and probably asked the nurse 500 times, is it the spinal that makes you itch? Luckily, the nurses were amazing and we were so well taken care of. After about an hour or 2 in recovery, we moved over to a mommy & baby suite which was a relief because it was one of those moments where you're like, we did it! It wasn't so bad! I remember being very tired, and on pain meds which kept me from feeling much at all as well as waiting on the spinal to wear off. And also wondering when I could eat actual food.
The first two days I was kept on a liquid diet (jello, juice, broth, etc.) until my doctor cleared me for regular food which I was SO happy about and sent Chase right to The Cheesecake Factory for a salad ... and a piece of cheesecake. 
They encouraged me to get up and walk, which was a little painful and just weird feeling overall, I walked the halls a little at a time each day which I feel like if there's any kind of advice I'd give for a c section is WALK! As much as you can, whoever you feel like it, walk. My mom brought Viv up to the hospital everyday which I loved because I was so anxious to see how she'd react and she has LOVED every minute of being a big sister. She hugs and rubs her hands on Finn's head and gives him sporadic kisses throughout the day. I missed her so much while in the hospital and it was heartbreaking to me I couldn't pick her up like always, but I knew that I would be able to soon. 
My recovery has been pretty easy this far, I had my staples taken out the day we left the hospital which didn't hurt at all surprisingly. The first few times getting out of bed was a little challenging until I could figure out different ways to get out without it hurting but other than that it hasn't been near as bad as I thought it might be. I've had the best support system from friends, but esp my mom, Chase & V with things around the house, again encouraging me to walk, and just adjusting to a new routine now that there's another addition to our family. I am so thankful to God for blessing us with the two best kids I could ever dream of that mean the absolute world to us. Here's to a new adventure!

1 comment